Nervous. That was my overwhelming feeling as we arrived at the hospital. They really should give you sedatives before you arrive, just sayin. So they handed me a paper “warming” robe and I looked at Jill and said, “They didn’t research fat people, did they?” Later, I found out that you could hook up an air tube to the robe that air-conditioned it. Oh yeah, Jenn was happy then. There was a flurry of activity and before I knew it, a really funny guy was wheeling me back to anesthesia. I remember moving over onto their table and commenting on the funny blue lights, then they started to cover my mouth with the oxygen mask. I panicked and grabbed one of the guy’s hands. He held it until I fell asleep. The next thing I remember was waking up in recovery. It was a really busy place and I remember them changing my robe and I remember being freaked out that I was being changed in front of all those people! But I was completely out of it, so I couldn’t do a thing about it. Apparently my surgery only took an hour and a half, but I was in recovery for like three hours. They never told me why…apparently the surgery went well.
I was really out of it, but I remember that Jill was in my room waiting for me and that Jeff, Carla & Aunt Becky visited and brought me gifts. Tons of other friends and family texted and called to check on me…thank you! I have the best support system in the world.
Wednesday morning I was a little more lucid and had gone without any water since midnight before surgery! I was more than ready when they came to get me to do an X-ray to be sure that the sleeve the surgeon created after removing 80 percent of my stomach wasn’t leaking. So the first thing I drank after surgery was barium stuff so that they could see potential leaks. Bleh. Then the news came back that I was cleared for liquids! So my first “meal” was an ounce of water, an ounce of broth and an ounce of sugar free jello.
I’ll blog more later…need to rest!

An ounce of water. Wow! Thinking on ya!
ReplyDelete